Shawn Carter is one busy man. The New York rapper is expanding his resume, jumping on board the highly anticipated Richard Pryor biopic, serving as producer.
The film, tentatively titled Richard Pryor: Is it Something I Said, named after Pryor’s 1975 live album, was reportedly postponed in May after Empire director Lee Daniels left his role due to scheduling conflicts, but according to CNN, Harvey Weinstein told the network he’s totally on board:
“No, Lee Daniels will be directing it. I believe Lee Daniels is way in and never wanted to be out. Jay got involved a few months ago but we were working on our deal and couldn’t announce it. But I think it’ll be on the fast track now.”
Read Also: [Interview] Mike Epps Gets Real About Life, Playing Richard Pryor & More
The script, written by Bill Condon, will star Mike Epps as the comedian; who passed away in 2005 in Los Angeles after suffering a heart attack at age 65, Oprah Winfrey as his grandmother, and Kate Hudson as Pryor’s widow, Jennifer Lee Pryor and Tracy Morgan as Sanford and Son star, Redd Foxx.
Early 2017 is the start date for filming.
Last week, Jay Z and The Weinstein Company announced their two year film and
- Jay Z and Lee Daniels Team Up for Richard Pryor Biopic
- Jay-Z Will Produce Films About Richard Pryor and Kalief Browder
- Jay Z Producing Richard Pryor Biopic, Kalief Browder Docuseries
- Jay Z Working on Kalief Browder Documentary, Richard Pryor Biopic
- [Interview] Mike Epps Gets Real About Life, Playing Richard Pryor & More