Jay Z’s new partnership with The Weinstein Company is already garnering some major buzz.
After announcing his Spike TV docuseries “TIME: The Kalief Browder Story,” Hov reveals plans produce a Richard Pryor biopic.
Lee Daniels, co-creator of Fox’s “Empire,” is set to direct the project, which is titled Richard Pryor: Is It Something I Said, according to Variety.
In May, TWC postponed the film when Daniels couldn’t direct due to his work on “Empire.” However, he’s since returned and is set to begin working on the biopic in early 2017.
Is It Something I Said is set to feature Mike Epps in the lead role as the legendary comic. Oprah Winfrey has signed on to play his grandmother and Kate Hudson is set to play Richard’s widow, Jennifer Lee Pryor.
Screenwriter Bill Condon, who worked on Dreamgirls, wrote the film’s screenplay. Meanwhile, Hov is on board as a producer.
Late last month, it was announced that Jay Z signed a two-year overall deal with The Weinstein Company for exclusive first-look options on film and TV projects. Even before this though, Jigga’s film credits included The Great Gatsby, Annie, and Top Five.
- Jay Z Producing Richard Pryor Biopic, Kalief Browder Docuseries
- Jay Z Working on Kalief Browder Documentary, Richard Pryor Biopic
- Jay-Z Will Produce Films About Richard Pryor and Kalief Browder
- LATE NIGHT ROUNDUP: The Vulture Festival, Lee Daniels No Longer On Richard Pryor Biopic, & More!
- [Interview] Mike Epps Gets Real About Life, Playing Richard Pryor & More